I know Thanksgiving was last week, but I feel the need to take a moment to express gratitude for something most precious to me. The Monday before Thanksgiving, my wife collapsed in a puddle of her own blood in our house. Thankfully, I was at home working, so I was able to run to her, call 911, and go with her to the hospital where she received prompt treatment. A doctor performed surgery on her to stop the bleeding, and she was sent home that same day. In the days after, she has been tired and had a headache, but she’s definitely on the mend.
I’m grateful for many things as a result of this situation:
- The paramedics, hospital staff, and doctor who took care of my wife
- Modern medicine, in general
- My parents-in-law for watching our kids during this ordeal
- My employer for letting me take time off on a moment’s notice
- My brothers, sisters, and parents for texting me kind words and advice throughout the day
- God for enabling me to be home and in a position to help my wife when she needed it most
And, of course, I am grateful for my wife pulling through. She’s pretty tough, and I’m so happy she’s still alive. Seeing her fallen on the floor, drenched in blood, and drifting in and out of consciousness while I was talking to the 911 dispatcher was enough to get my adrenaline pumping and allow me to see her through a new pair of eyes. I guess I needed a reminder of how precious life is, and how suddenly it can look like it’s about to end. I’ll do my best to live my life filled with gratitude for every good thing that happens to me and every painful thing that helps me to grow. I’m thankful for this experience, which has helped me to appreciate my wife’s life even more.
I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving and that you have a lot to be thankful for, as well. Thank you for all of your thoughtful comments through the years and other expressions of kindness.
This is the Deja Reviewer bidding you farewell until we meet again.